Saturday, May 19, 2007

Should magic secrets be revealed?

I was just browsing theInternetyesterday and I stumbled upon a website that revealed quite a few magic tricks. There were quite a few complaints about the revelations, but there were also people that appreciated them. I agree with both.

I agree that the Internet is a medium through which information should be shared freely. Some magic secrets could be revealed, but not most of them. I have no problem with some outdated magic tricks being revealed. The problem is with the newer tricks and the gizmo used to perform. The only way I would agree with that is if the targeted audience could be controlled and there is no way really to do that unless you would have to pay for that information.
Why I don't agree to reveal most of the magic secrets? Well, because if anyone knows the secrets then soon there will be no magic left.

I am sure pretty much everyone knows about Blaine's levitation trick. I think you all remember the first time you saw that on TV. You could not believe your eyes, right? I think it still impressed you the second time you saw it as well. After you knew the secret though, you really think it is a silly trick, right? It does not do anything for you anymore. Same logic applies to any other magic/illusion trick. Once you know the secret, you can't see past it and you stop enjoying it.

As a magician, that is the curse. You have to know the trick in order to perform the magic. The only joy you get from this is when you perform it to someone and you amaze that person. It is a good trade.

Therefore I agree for the secrets to be revealed to those that apply them to amaze other people, but I don't agree for them to be known by people that are just curious.

No comments: